Message: When Life Overlooks You
Speaker: Jeff Henderson
Group Leaders: After you've taken a few minutes to check in on everyone since you've last been together- open in prayer then pose the questions:
- Have you ever been overlooked? Ever been passed over? You didn’t get the promotion. You didn’t get into the school you wanted or make the team. You weren’t invited to the top spot. It's a universal experience. Think about that time and how it felt and how you responded.
- If the group feels comfortable- invite anyone to share a bit of their experience.
Jeff Henderson relayed the story of his dad being passed over for a particular church opportunity. He suggested 3 possible ways to respond to rejection:
- The way of the world: This can be described as "look out for #1!" If you don’t, no one else will. Or-with a chip on your shoulder- I'll show you!"
- Religion: Where one judges, and criticizes others for how they hurt us.
- The way of Jesus: which can be summed up in the word "Humility"
Off the top of your head, what are some examples of how Jesus demonstrated humility?
Have someone read aloud the text -Luke 14:7-11 and then discuss as a group:
- What is Jesus communicating in this story?
- How does it apply to life now? Can anyone give an example?
- FYI- Jeff shared a couple of stories from his corporate experience- the seating swap on the airplane and the CEO who chose to eat with his employees- what touched you about either of these stories?
Assign the other verses in 1 Peter and in Philippians to some other group members and then read them out loud and discuss them.
- How do honor and humility travel together?
- If you were to begin practicing this spiritual discipline of humility today- what would it look like in your marriage? as a parent? in your workplace? in your school life? (hint- sometimes it's best to think and start small.) Share thoughts.
- Along this way of thinking- of patience, showing humility, and lifting up others- does anyone have any stories or reflections to share where the words "in due time" came into play? (leader: if not, move on to ask what is hard and what is comforting about those words?)
Spend the last few moments of your group asking how you all can pray for each other in regard to walking in humility, waiting on God's timing, and championing others.
Close in prayer.
"Wisdom’s instruction is to fear the Lord,
and humility comes before honor."
Luke 14: 7 - 11.
1 Peter 5: 5 - 6
Philippians 2: 5 - 11
What are some healthy ways to respond when you find yourself being overlooked or left out?
In such times, who in your life can you choose to celebrate and champion- even if it's hard?
How might God be writing a better story in your life as a result of a past disappointment?
Find a way to be a servant leader this week- either in your home, place of work, or in your church. Then take a few moments to write down what you did and how it felt.
Ask God to give you more opportunities to serve. Check out the church website: (http://thecrossing.church/calendar) for opportunities for serving in Outreach together as a group or individually.